Finally! I no longer have Twilight: Breaking Dawn: Part II hanging over my head. All is right in the world and you are once again the cinematic underdog – I don’t say this to be cruel, but I wanted to use cinematic underdog because it just sounds awesome.
So speaking of French movies. Metropol is actually still showing Intouchables which I still want very much to see, but for your consideration I’ve compiled a list of non-English-speaking movies I would like to watch:
- De rouille et d’os: Rust and Bone is a French movie and here are four random plot keywords listed on IMDb: Killer Whale, Locker Room Sex, Toy Tractor and Reference to Katy Perry.
- Amour: Oscar winning Austrian movie and I sort of assume that you want to watch it despite it promising to depress the hell out of us.
- Cesare deve morire: Caesar Must Die is an Italian quasi-documentary about real prisoners rehearsing Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.
- Kon-Tiki: Norwegian movie – and a boat – based on real events. Or the book written by the guy who actually sailed the boat across the Pacific Ocean.
- Lore: A German movie which was the Australian candidate for the 2013 Oscar show. Also it is set at the end of World War II.
- Après mai: Something in the Air (The translation of movie titles is a whole other post) is a French movie about the youth revolution in France in the late 1960’s and as many French movies contain nudity. Of both the male and female variant.
- Kelebegin Rüyasi: The Dream of a Butterfly is a Turkish movie about two poets, poems and falling in love. Oh, and both poets have tuberculous.
- Paradies: Liebe, Paradies: Glaube and Paradies: Hoffnung: This is a trilogy, so I’ve take the liberty to list it as one movie since at one point during production it was. So there. It is Austrian and each movie focuses on a female member of one family. One goes to Kenya as a sex tourist, one spends time at a weight-loss camp and one tries to spread Catholicism. And as a bonus most of it – I think? – takes place in Vienna!
- 3096 Tage: German movie based on the kidnapping of the Austrian girl Natascha Kampusch staring two Danish actors; Thure Lindhardt and Trine Dyrholm as the only other characters with names besides the girl who plays Natascha.
- Los amantes pasajeros: I’m So Excited is a Spanish movie about a plane that might crash and the teaser trailer is basically three male flight attendants lip singing to I’m so Excited.
I think I deserve kudos for only listing ten movies . Okay fine! Nine movies and one trilogy but still, I could have continued the list. Especially after I discovered that Øst for Paradis has French Movie Mondays. Also note that there are no Russian movies on the list.